Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Owen's update

My 2013 road journey put simply, started out with track. For the past five months I have been rigorously training for the Australian National Track titles in early February.  Now coming to the end of my training drive I can look back and see that what I have done so far is nothing to be ashamed of.

Let’s go back to where it all started, in late July of 2012 I really kicked off my season.  Not in a big way but by winning the local track omnium meets. It isn’t much but, I can tell you something every time you win it gives you that little bit more motivation to strive for that extra second quicker and train that much harder. Week after week I could feel myself getting fitter and stronger, then came the move.  On the 19th of November I moved from Brisbane to Adelaide (one state to another), yes moving is hard but the hardest thing was starting my training all over again with different coaches, a new venue  and  a new group of boys.  Within two days of the move I was racing in the state titles and to be honest it didn’t go to plan.  I couldn’t figure out how I had gone from being so strong, to being a non-contender and hanging on at the back.  Now that I think about it the major influencing  factor as to how I overcame this was purely and simply, FRIENDS.  I didn’t know the guys I was racing against or with.  Team work is the most important thing in cycling.  As I trained with the same people day after day we all started to get to know each other better and became friends. Both on the road and the track (but especially in a team pursuit) if you can’t count on your team mates 100% then you will fail, team work is what will win every time.  A group of people that are best of mates on and off the bike , is such a stronger group than ones that aren’t. 

Looking further into 2013 and having only met some of the boys I will be riding with at Team Specialized, yes it will be hard in the beginning, however If we want to be successful in 2013, we will overcome the friendship barrier, bond as a proper team should and have a strong year as Team Specialized.  Style, Class, Grace and Dignity.

Owen Gillott

No comments: