Friday, January 4, 2013

It's Really Treated Me Well


This off-season has treated me very well. I took a break played some water polo and got right back into my rhythm of riding my way through the off-season. My off-season started slow with a knee injury that occurred from starting off to hard. I worked my way up to some good base mileage. I've done lots of fun riding with exploring, adventuring, and finding new places to ride in. I have also grown to start to like riding in the dirt. My dirt riding came from a buddy of mine in San Diego, Eric Oien. Ever since he told me about his adventures in the dirt, I tried it out and grew too really like it and have fun with it. These adventures and explorations helped me get the base miles I needed along with a couple of 20 hour weeks and helped me really love cycling even more. Along with these adventures, Strava has been a great tool for me in helping me get back into shape with the endurance my body requires to refuel for this coming racing season. The monthly Strava challenges have helped me to keep my endurance up along with lots of fun, long weeks. Although I did not complete the most recent Strava challenge by completing 500 km in a week due to a weekend stomach flu, those 333 km I did complete were worth the try and still kept my endurance up and where it needed to be.

I end my base work this week and finally move on to intensity and power training. As the season comes closer to our very eyes and with all the adventures, explorations, founded areas to ride in, and Strava, I can say that this off-season has treated me well and I look forward to finally racing again in what is expected to be a very competitive year of junior racing here in so cal and amongst all of the nation’s best juniors.

Take care,
Nick

No comments: