Sunday, May 3, 2009

sucked beyond suckage

1998 photo of me on Cat's Hill... I needed something to boost my confidence after yesterday's debacle



photo by Ken Papai, who was on the start list but I did not see at the race

I still love the Cat's Hill but yesterday was a day I want to forget, or at least help our juniors to learn from.

In 2008 our masters team went 1-2-3. You can not beat that! This year I threw my chain not once but twice. Yikes, what a rookie! Worst of all is that I was "mentoring" the junior fields in the morning and we talked about this. This was my 10th year of racing at Cat's Hill, a truly classic race that has been going on for 36 years, and I had won on 5 previous occaisions so its a race I can easily get up for. But, to throw your chain twice in one race is silly. I think I'll fire my mechanic!

So, I was telling Laurel Green (2009 assistant camp coach) what happened and she coined the "sucked beyond suckage" phase. No words are too harsh for this one! My crappy race (the officials let me finish at the back of the pack) didn't help teammates Craig Roemer or Dean Laberge, but Dean did salvage a 6th place. Dan Martin (Safeway) and Chris Phipps (Morgan Stanley) did their normal anti-social thing and jetted off the front. Steve Palaez (Lombardi's) took the field sprint for 3rd

Thankfully, I learn from these things, AND the juniors ripped it up again. Check out James' write-up.

I'm already planning my 2010 attack on Cat's Hill (dang, I'll be 51-1/2 years old ;-)

Lar

No comments: