Sunday, May 10, 2009

Pro 1/2 Berkeley Hills Road Race


Today I rode my first pro 1/2 field at the Berkeley Hills Road Race. Crazy or brave I don't know. At 95 miles with lots of climbing I would be happy just to finish, considering I haven’t ridden over 85 miles yet this year. For the first three laps I cruised in the field. It was great having Kevin in the race reminding me to get near the front before the climbs, at which point I would gradually drift back to stay in contact with the field. At 65 miles, I was finally popped. I kept working hard over the next couple of hills and was surprised to find that I didn’t lose anymore time to the lead group. I worked with a group of about 10 riders for the next 15 miles, before we fragmented again on the climbs at which point I rode the last fifteen miles solo. Although I don’t expect to contend in races like this for a couple of years, I can't wait to race my next one, because races like these will get me ready for Nationals.

No comments: