Monday, May 11, 2009

Berkeley Hills RR 15-16


The Jr. 15-16 Berkeley Hills RR covered 1.7 laps of the Briones loop, for a total of 33 miles. We started out with a promenade onto San Pablo Dam road before the race began. I stayed on Bjorn Fox's wheel on San Pablo Dam road as he attacked over and over again. The pack stayed together until the first hill where I went to the front to avoid slower riders. On all of the hills I put out between 250-350 watts.

When we went through the finish line the first time, there were only six other riders and me in the front group. After the descent onto San Pablo Dam Rd., we all started playing games and following wheels, barely hitting 20 mph. There were several attacks throughout the rest of the race but we basically stayed together until the last hill.

We caught the women's field at the feed zone near the bottom of the last hill. Just then Bjorn Fox attacked and Torrey and I followed his wheel, but we were having a hard time getting around the pack as some riders were grabbing bottles and others went wide.

I nearly hit a volunteer's arm when they handed a bottle to a rider. That caused me to lose some ground on Torrey and Bjorn. I chased to make up lost ground, but Torrey attacked just before I could catch them. I chased and caught Bjorn and then started chasing Torrey but I ran out of hill before the finish. Torrey won by five bike lengths. I was second and Bjorn third.

Picture:
Even near the finish we had to go around the women. The picture shows us very near the finish line and I am on the right with Bjorn on my wheel. Torrey is about five bike lengths ahead of me here, but you can't see him on the picture. The lead women are on the left. We had to be careful not cross the center line so close to the finish.

No comments: