Tuesday, May 12, 2009

P-Town Crit, May 9



Saturday was Joseph Mendes criterium, which is part of the junior point series. In the junior race, it was David, Allistair, Marcus, Chris, Andrew, Daniel, Peter, and myself. Everybody had a huge part during the race and it would have been much harder if Larry wasn't there. He told us about the wind and he told us to get a little bit of cover against the wind and he said if you do that, it will help you out a lot. And boy, was he right!!! Everybody attacked and followed wheels and we were yet again, control of this race from the start of the whistle. We were all together with 1 lap to go and after a few hundred meters after the beginning of the last lap, Andrew yells out"James!!!", and I look back and here goes Andrew flying right past the field and I hopped on to his wheel and have to admit, it was really hard just to stay on his wheel. He started that lead out so far back, that with 500 meters to go, I had to go because Andrew was so tired. Daniel Farhina was right on my wheel, but when I jumped, he just couldn't catch my wheel and so I soared to victory! To add, David got 2nd in 15-16, and Marcus got 3rd, and Peter got 2nd in 17-18!!! I have to admit that this was probably the fastest junior criterium I have ever been apart of !

David, Marcus, Andrew, and I did the 3's right after, and we were all at the front most of the race. When, it came to 5 to go, there was a crash, and unfortunately, Marcus was apart of it, and I didn't see Andrew anywhere, so it was down to David and I. We found each other right away, and after every turn, we would yell out and communicate to make sure we were on each other's wheel. Then, it was 1 to go, and going around the 2nd turn, I was behind david ready for the lead out, but he got caught in a scuffle, and I had to go right past him if I wanted a chance at winning, and so I did. I moved up to 4th person in line going around the last turn and I past 1 person the sprint for 3rd in the 3's.

This was yet another great day for the Team Specialized Juniors squad, and hopefully, we can pick up a state championship in the Road Race next Weekend!! -James LaBerge

No comments: