Thursday, October 16, 2008

Day 3, 7500m scratch race = 1st



This poster was at the Yagoona train station here in Sydney. I thought it was appropriate for tonight’s scratch race. There was a good amount of aggression in this fast and furious race.

Numbers wise there are fewer Americans at this year’s world championships. Four women and twenty two men from the USA, almost 10% of the 278 riders from twenty two different countries.

Tonight the Americans beat the odds and won four of the scratch races. Mark Rodamaker (Alto Velo/CA) won the 60-64 category, Chip Brezny (Bike Line/PA) won the 55-59 category, Bert Glennon (BMG/ CA) won the 44-49 category, and while you were sleeping back home I won the 50-54 scratch race.

At 30 laps on a 250m track this one goes quickly. The 2008 USA criterium champion Aubrey Gordon (Squiggles/ NY) went up to Steven Darrmott (Australia) and Bernardo Figueroa (Colombia) and the breakaway looked good for the USA. James Host (PACT/ IL) and I clogged up the front but then Steven dropped Bernardo and Aubrey and was about to take his lap so I drilled it at the front, found myself with a gap and then went into purgatory in my attempt to catch the group. Fortunately the pack slowed so I was able to gain my lap. Unfortunately there was only 10 laps to go and I needed to take the sprint from Steven and Bernardo if I was to win this. I did, I’m a happy camper and now I’m off to bed.

Live stream and delayed videos are posted here: http://www.cyclingmasters.tv/stream.aspx

Sprints tomorrow and Friday. Aubrey (my daughter, not Aubrey Gordon) and I went on a day trip to Bondi beach today and she is going surfing tomorrow. I may drop out of the sprints on Friday to spend more time with Aubrey and to save my legs for Sunday’s points race. We’ll see how the day goes.

Cheers, Larry

1 comment:

WarrenG said...

Molto bene Larry!

...and sprint!

The combines against you in the points race will make things tough.

Irish, Irish, Irish. Aye, aye, aye!