Thursday, August 7, 2014

Heers Kermesse - A Belgian Drought

        After a few days living the dream of an American Cyclist in Europe, we finally packed up and drove to our first race. All day the team was checking the weather on phones and looking up at the dark grey sky. Around fifteen minutes into our car ride it started to rain, then it got harder and then you could feel it shaking the door of the van. When we got to the race the roads were deep in water, the rain jackets were on, and the tire pressure was low. We then registered and went out for a lap around the course. The lap started with a climb averaging around 4% for about 1km. Then it flattened and it was tight corners and wet streets all the way back. The race started with bang and we were immediately shedding riders on the first climb. I launched a few attacks and so did the rest of the team. We were just trying to break them down. The rain wasn't quitting on our third lap and the race was picking up speed through the streets. On the second to last corner of the third lap Chris was second wheel and I was third, we took the corner too hot and he went down hard in front of me, I managed to jump over my bars and land on my feet, but when I picked up my bike the field was gone and my chain was twisted around itself. When I got back on the bike I rode really hard to chase back to the main field. By the time I made it back this was no longer the main field. I attacked to get to the break but it was me versus every one in the field. They would all work to chase me and then attack me. Sean made the break and finished 8th.
Overall a very hard race for the team and a great learning experience,
Grant McElroy

No comments: