Sunday, July 27, 2014

Cascade Cycling Classic Wrap-up

Cascade Cycling Classic Wrap-up

After visiting Bend, Oregon the last two years for Master's Road Nationals, I have been looking forward to racing Cascade.  This year the schedule worked out and I was able to make the trip.  Since it was only Craig and I making the trip (plus Jason who was guest riding for Bear Development), we decided to jump in the 2s race instead of the Masters race.  I was looking for upgrade points and the 2s stage race was spread over 4 days instead of the 3 days for the Master's race.

Stage 1: Crooked River Time Trial

This TT was on the same course at the Master's National TT for the last two years, just a shorter distance.  This was great for me as I knew the course well.  Looking at my previous files, I set a goal time of 33 minutes, based on times for the previous year and what I thought I could do this year.  The course is mostly rollers, so I broke the course down into 2 mile blocks (for 8 splits total).

There was a slight tailwind out and head wind back, so I was a little ahead of my splits on the way out, catching my 30 man.  At the turnaround, however, I was struggling a little in the wind.  After 2 slow splits, I started to get back on top of my gears.  I also started picking off a few more riders, helping with my motivation.  Coming into the final few kilometers, I knew that I was a little behind my goal time, but emptied what I had left in the legs.  Across the line I had the best time so far, but I was early in the start list and had to wait through some 80 more riders.

In the end, my time was good enough for 3rd, 4 seconds off the leader.  I was super stoked, despite missing my goal time, sitting in a perfect GC position.

Lesson 1: Know the course (and use it to your advantage).


Stage 2: Cascade Lakes Road Race

This year they decided to run the road race in the opposite direction compared to previous years.  This made for a 96 mile road race with a 10 mile grind of a hill to the finish.  I have been in a few larger stage races, but this was the first time in a field of 110 riders with the centerline enforced.  This was especially important in the first 20 miles, which included a high speed descent down from the Mt. Bachelor ski resort.

Early, a small group got away and got a bit of a gap.  The GC leader did not have any teammates, so there was no real control in the peloton.  Instead there a few minor attacks and some moderate tempo in between.  About 25 miles into the race, the moto that was leading the peloton turned the wrong way!  As a result, SO DID THE PELOTON!  A few riders that were on the right of the road continued on the correct course, while the rest of us had to stop and turn around.

Since it was an official error, the moto neutralized both the lead break and the impromptu break that had formed and reset the original gap.  With racing back on, we slowly reeled in the lead break before the first feed zone.  Again a few attacks went of, but nothing of note really happened.

Passing the second feed zone and starting our way back towards the finish, Craig appeared at the front to start driving the pace.  After a long stretch of rollers and a mild climb, we were fairly strung out and rolled through the final feed zone at the base of the climb.  The final climb is a long big-ring climb.  There were a few attacks again, but nothing stuck and basically came down to attrition.  At this point I knew the GC leader was struggling, but I was not sure where the 2nd place guy was.  I was able to follow wheels as the Bear Development riders were pushing the pace.

We finally made the summit as a group of maybe 30 riders.  Unfortunately I expected the finish to be at the main ski lodge (where the National finish had been), so the real finish came up before I was ready.  I was able to dig and stay with the lead group, but was out of position to get a high placing (and any time bonuses).  After rolling over the line, I took stock of the riders to find that both the GC leader and the 2nd place rider had been dropped from the lead group, putting me in yellow. 

Lesson 2: Know the course (so you know where to go).


Stage 3: Downtown Twilight Criterium

The crit was in the afternoon, so I spent the morning pre-riding the final road race course.  Once at the crit, I got set-up and put in a good warm-up.  With the yellow jersey, I got a call-up to the front of the pack, which was essential for this 4 corner crit.  I was able to patrol the front fairly easily as minor attacks would go, but nothing dangerous ever materialized.  In the final lap, I was actually leading the peloton down the backstretch.  Into corner three a rider took a flier with no one else reacting.  I was slow to react, but still went through the corner at the front of the group.  Sprinting out of turn four, I did my best to power to the line, but was passed by two other riders.  Finishing 4th, I missed out on the time bonuses again, but still maintained my lead.

Lesson 3: Riding a crit in the middle of a hilly stage race is pretty easy (since there were no real sprinters).


Stage 4: Awbrey Bette Road Race

The final stage was four laps around a hilly 16 mile circuit, culminating in a 1K hill climb.  After pre-riding the course the day before, I knew where the danger areas were (where breaks could go, when I needed to move up, and where the decisive climbs were).  Craig did a great job patrolling the front and keeping the pace up for the first three laps.  I took one flier in the middle of lap two to bridge up to a small break, but everything came back together quickly.  The rest of the lap was spent staying near the front, suffering up the main climbs and marking the few riders within striking distance.

On the last loop, the team of the 2nd place rider (13 sec back) came to the front and drove the pace towards the final hill.  While it was nice to have someone take control of the front of the race, I knew that the last time up the main climb would be decisive.  Predictably, the 2nd place rider hit the climb hard and I did all I could to follow his wheel.  Cresting the main kicker, followed by several smaller kickers we were down to maybe 15 riders, but most importantly we were still together.

There was a short descent down to a left turn for the final 1K.  I did my best to recover and stay near the front of the group as the pace started to quicken.  Setting up for the left hand turn in the middle of the group, riders on the right side of the group went straight!  Meanwhile guys on the left side riders were jockeying for position and went down!  Fortunately I made it through and pedaled squares up the hill trying to hold position.  I knew that I had the second and third placed riders behind me, so I just kept pushing.  I ended up 10th on the stage, good enough to clinch the leaders jersey.

Lesson 4: Know the course!


Big thanks to Craig for all of the effort he put out to get me into yellow and stay there.  It also payed off to have friends in the peloton as a number of NorCal riders were up racing and would pitch in here and there.  Lastly, thanks to all of our sponsors (for both the Masters and Junior teams), including NCCF, Touchstone Climbing, Specialized, Clif Bar, and Zipp/SRAM.

Cheers,
Jeromy




 

No comments: