Saturday, July 12, 2014

An unforgettable ride


“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters in the end” (Ernest Hemingway). In 2007 at the age of 11 my cycling journey began thanks to my dad. I remember my first ride with him riding down Foothill Expressway and falling because I didn’t know how to clip out of the pedals. From there I was determined to get better. I soon started riding at the track and quickly fell in love with everything about the sport. At the age of 14, I was invited to join Team Specialized, which furthered my journey. I will be forever thankful of the opportunities this team has provided for me.

Last week I completed my last Junior National Championship. I first started at Track Nationals in Carson, California at the Stub Hub Center. I competed in the International Omnium, 3k Pursuit, Kilometer Time Trial, Points Race, Scratch Race, and Team Pursuit. Winning the omnium when I was 14 and 16, I targeted the omnium again this year. The omnium started extremely well, winning the flying lap and setting a new Jr. National record. On the third event, the Elimination Race, I unfortunately crashed twice. This put me down on the overall omnium and at the end I finished 6th. I had to learn how to quickly move on from disappointment. My next two events were the Points Race and Scratch Race where I finished 3rd and 6th respectively. Track Nationals ended with another national title. This time it was in the Team Pursuit. Thank you Ken Carpenter for your guidance and support, not only at Track Nationals this year but throughout my junior career on Team Specialized! I will always be grateful.

Straight from Track Nationals, I flew to Madison, Wisconsin with the team for Road Nationals. Some of my greatest memories with the team have been at Road Nationals and this year was no different. Along with the fun times, the team displayed great teamwork all week long. The 17-18’s teamwork approach got put to the test in the criterium because we all felt we could either win in a field sprint or a breakaway. The first half of the race went as planned, my teammates followed attacks and we were all attentive at the front staying safe and away from crashes. Teammate Nielson Powless then got into a breakaway of 6 for about 20 minutes before a crash ruined it. After the long breakaway got pulled into the pack, Noah Granigan and Jake Silverberg countered and stayed away till the finish. Teammate Sean Bennett then made a move with one other rider with 5 laps to go to bridge to the breakaway but came within a few seconds short and finished 4th.  Back in the field, Nick Castellano was looking after me and leading me out for the field sprint. With 2 laps to go, Nick and I were towards the front. I was giving him directions because I didn’t want to lose his wheel on the last lap. Coming into 1 to go, Nick and I didn’t panic instead we decided to be patient. I didn’t want him to run out of gas and I also wanted him to be attentive in case we were going to get swarmed by the field. Coming into turn 3 on the last lap, Nick hit the front at about 33mph and led me out to win the field sprint for 5th place. Although we didn’t win the race, Team Specialized displayed great teamwork, sacrificing each rider’s own goals for the good of the team.   

As my junior cycling journey ends, I would like to take this opportunity to thank NCCF for their endless amount of support they have provided for the team every single year. Without their help, the success of this team would not have been possible. Thank you to Larry Nolan for being a great mentor to me on and off the bike. The memories we created each year will definitely never be forgotten.  I would also like to thank my coach, Billy Innes, for helping me achieve many successful seasons. To my teammates, thank you for pushing me to be a better leader, rider, and person.  Wherever the road may take you, I wish each of you success. And last but not the least; I want to thank my parents. Thank you for always telling me what I'm capable of, for giving me the support that I needed to build a dream to chase after, and for believing that I have the talent to reach my goals.  Without each of you, I'd be nowhere near the person I am - and the person I'm still working on becoming.

Next for me is to finish the season out strong and then off to college where I will be studying at the University of Hawaii!

-Matt Valencia  

No comments: