Sunday, August 24, 2014

Driven by goals


Goal: noun
1. the result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end.

Goals offer motivation during hard training rides, tangible measuring points, and a constant reminder of why we put so much time and effort into the sport of cycling. Goals are benchmarks set by the rider (sometimes with input from others) that drive the rider to challenge him or herself. A goal can be as easy to quantify as losing a pound or two, or as complex as developing the ability to ride off the front of P12 races.

One of my goals for this season was to earn enough upgrade points to become a category 1. I wanted to challenge myself to not only race in P12 races, but to be competitive. I started the season as a brand new category 2 rider with 0 points and never having raced a P12 race. My goal was to develop as a rider and achieve the ability to place in everything from flat, industrial park crits, to long hilly races and stage races. Having this goal constantly in the back of my head helped me push through the hardest workouts and races. Now, with two races left on my race calendar this year, I can proudly say (and show you the email from USAC) that I achieved my goal and am a category 1.

Achieving goals is always easier with support from others. Much of this support came from Team Specialized and its sponsors. I would like to thank Larry, my teammates, the NCCF, and Specialized for all of their help.

As the season winds down, and I reflect on my year of racing, I am beginning to think of the challenges I want to set for myself next year. A big part of my motivation to upgrade was to challenge myself to always race the hardest races with the strongest fields.

What goals will drive me during training and racing next season? What goals drive you?

An email to culminate a season’s worth of work

Thanks for reading,
Jason S.

No comments: