Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Recovery Day- The Hardest of The Week

After a tough week of racing, or training, everyone takes a recovery day. For me this is always my Mondays. It is a time for riders to get on the bike and spin out their legs for a hour or so to pump fresh blood through the legs and get rid of the "bad stuff". For me, like many others, this is a hard thing to do. The day after a race, I'm still in race mode, when I see a corner, I want to drive into it, when I see a climb, I want to attack it. The only thing that keeps me from doing so is when I look at my training plan and see that I have 3hrs the next day and the day after that and so on. Throughout the winter, it wasn't as hard, because staring at the wall doesn't get me too pumped up to go fast. But as the weather has gotten nicer, I've put away the rollers and the trainer and transitioned all my rides to the road. As soon as I did this, I noticed that it was hard to go slow on the days I needed rest. So I developed strategies and ways to cope with the need to attack hills and sprints on recovery days. I've got mellow playlists and routes that avoid the temptations and the urges to throw some big numbers. I calm down, flush out the legs, and do a nice 15miles around a flat loop close to my house.

Nice job at San Dimas everyone!
Grant McElroy

No comments: