Friday, April 4, 2014

My First Earthquake

            There was a 5.1 magnitude earthquake in the LA area while the team was out racing in San Dimas. This is somewhat regular for Californians, but I'm from Colorado, and earthquake is something I have never experienced. I have always wanted to see what an earthquake feels like and I got my chance this weekend. The earthquake occurred at around 9 at night, so fortunately no one was racing. Grant and I were just leaving Nick's house to head to our hotel when all of a sudden all the bikes in the garage fell over. Grant and I stood there for a second as the bikes fell like dominoes. At this point, we were both completely unaware that we were in an earthquake. After picking up the bikes we walked to the car, wondering what caused the bikes to fall over. Right before we left, Nick comes out of the house and tells us what just happened. At first I was a little nervous, but then I was just mad I missed it. I tell my dad, who didn't notice the earthquake either, what just happened. He didn't believe us at first. He heard the bikes crash in the garage, and he thought we just used the earthquake as an excuse for us knocking them over.
           The next day they cut our race short because they had to check if there was damage to a dam on the race course. Fortunately, we were able to get our race in before the race officials delayed the event. The race was able to continue after they found no damage to the dam. Overall it was a great weekend, and the earthquake just added to the team's great performance.

-Christopher Blevins
             

No comments: