Tuesday, April 8, 2014

 
 
Giving Back
 
 
      Over the years I've had a lot of success and a lot of that success came from the help of Rich Bartlett. Rich has walked and talked me threw every step of the way whether it's from learning how to shift a bike or learning how to be humble. I remember him pushing me back into a group riders when I'm about to get spit out the back, coaching me and giving some type of motivation not to get dropped.
 
       A few years ago when I was 11 years old, Rich got a group of riders, including myself, teaching and developing young kids how to ride a mountain bike. He would always tell us to look ahead out of a corner and not look straight down. By looking ahead your body will follow, allowing a lot faster and smoother exit of the corner. Still till this day I remember those exact words and I take those words into consideration whether I'm mountain biking or racing road.. This development program lasted for about a year and a half due to changing of location of Rich's bike shop. But most recently Rich has started up this program again and every Wednesday Rich has the same goal in mind, to develop young riders and keep them active.
 
       Every Wednesday I do my rode ride and then jump on the mountain bike helping Rich develop these young kids. It's a very good feeling seeing these kids go home happy and see them develop as riders and knowing that this is where I started. By doing so I feel that I'm giving back for all the help that I have received over the years.
 
                              
                                                       -Sean