Friday, May 31, 2013

Colorado Mini Classic

Recently I raced in the Colorado Mini Classic, which takes place in Silt, Colorado, a small town outside of Grand Junction, Colorado. There were over 130 junior racers in attendance from all over the US.  A week prior to the race I crashed in the Superior Morgul Classic, so I was still sore going into the weekend. The time trial, on Saturday, was an out and back with a slight downhill on the way out. I felt great during the race. I finished first place with a fifty-nine second lead over second place. I also had the best time of the day. Stage two was a road race. A forty-two mile race outside the town around all the agricultural land of the area. It had quite a few rolling hills on the course. The race was very fast and physically demanding from the end of the neutral start. There were attacks on every hill, but nothing really stuck for more than a couple of miles. On the last hill I put in a big effort to get away and it stuck. I finished with a six second lead over the chase group and a forty-five second lead over the main peleton. The next day was the criterium in downtown Silt, Colorado. It had eight corners and circulated around a park. There was an attack from the start and the field was single-file for the rest of the race. The group broke up quite a bit and with about fourteen minutes left I broke off the front and came close to lapping the field. Overall I won the overall race and had a great weekend at the Colorado Mini Classic.

No comments: