Tuesday, June 4, 2013

I Now Understand Why They Hate Us

This last weekend, my mother and I embarked on our usual cycling adventure, same routine, different place. I raced in Davis on Saturday and Pescadero on Sunday. Pescadero was a very eventful day for the locals of Pescadero. There were 3 rides going on, including a race. I finished the hard 100-mile race, and started on our way home. Since I'm going to get my license in a few weeks, I asked my mom if I could drive. We headed home along Highway One where we encountered hundreds of cyclists participating in a charity ride. I followed the riders for 30 miles. For the first time ever,  I felt the frustration that many drivers feel on a daily basis with cyclists. As I was driving, I was forced to put the brake pedal to the floor numerous times because of these cyclists. Their movements were so unpredictable. As my frustration mounted, I realized why so many motorists are so hostile to cyclists. It's nerve racking to have a cyclist swerve in front of your car. It put in perspective of how I should ride on narrow roads, populated by motorists. Ride as far right as possible, use hand signals, always look before changing my line and be predictable. As cyclist's we have to befriend and respect  motorists, if we want them to respect us. After all, we do share the road. Remember next time you are riding, you can be an ambassador for the sport, by riding in a safe and predictable manner.


Jack Maddux

No comments: