Sunday, May 19, 2013

Patience

Last weekend I raced Devils Punchbowl Road Race in a stacked cat 3 field of solid So Cal road racers. I started the race feeling horrible. The weather didn't help much either since it was in the 100s. That days race was going to need patience with the move I was going to make. Half way into it, I was at the front on the climb thinking "why am I doing this? I'm going to get dropped." I suffered over the top and then boom. A strong attack went. I said to myself "patience, wait til the last lap. Be smart." On the final climb, I set a hard pace and created a gap towards the top. 4 guys bridged up to me, and that was that. We worked well but only another guy and I made to the finish together. I eventually took the win and was able to outsprint my breakaway mate at the end. This special victory taught me a lot about being patient, including pushing through a spell when I didn't feel good.  Thanks for reading.

~Nick Castellano

No comments: