Friday, October 5, 2012

Take Time Off the Bike

After 50 races and 8 months on the bike, it seems like the best thing to do is to take a break from cycling and enjoy some alternative activities that a cyclist can’t normally do during the race season. There are a few reasons, I have been told, to accomplish this goal of not riding my bike for two or three weeks. At the age of 16 it feels like there is no end to the energy, mental stamina, and desire to stay on the bike. But following the advice of family, coaches, and various elite racers, it seems like checking out of the sport for two or three weeks seemed like a good idea. 

So the next question is, what am I going to do for the next couple of weeks? There are a lot of things a 16 year old can do. I was lucky enough, after my last road race at San Ardo, to spend a week at Pismo Beach, 4-wheeling and fishing. It may not sound like a whole lot of activity, but the simple basic idea of putting a worm on a hook and casting out into the surf and catching a fish is not easy as you think. Driving a 4-wheel drive jeep in the Pismo Dunes on the other hand seems natural and easy for me. On the other hand, the simple task of catching a fish became such a challenge for me that for weeks on end it consumed my every thought. Whether surf fishing, casting off of a pier or bridge, using a net to catch bait fish, or buying blood worms, catching a fish is still one of the most challenging, interesting, and time consuming hobbies I have ever done.  I spent many days with my line in the water losing my bait, my tackle, my patience, for many more hours than I ever spent on the bicycle seat on any given day. I really grew to love the simple challenge of catching a fish. I spent many days until the sun went down and longer before going home empty handed. In my prayers I asked God to help me with my fishing. Somehow I sensed he was telling me to stick with cycling, but keep fishing too.

Now that I am back on the bike, my fishing days are over for now, but I know that at the end of next season, I know where I will be and what I’ll be doing. So after weeks off of the bike, I found myself really missing my bike and my training, so I think the break was a good thing for me. I am now preparing to attend the USA Cycling National Camp at the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, "ManTour5" (a 6-day bike ride from Santa Rosa to Redondo Beach), and Team Specialized's end-of-the-year BBQ.
Thanks for reading,
Diego Binatena, Team Specialized Junior Racing

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice article, thanks for sharing.
Anna @ sewa mobil jakarta