Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Birthday gifts

2010 San Dimas Stage Race - Marcus in the sprinters green jersey

2012 San Dimas Stage Race - Marcus in the sprinters green jersey
My March 17th blog post intentionally captured the "team" and "we" that drove the success we experienced in San Dimas over the weekend. 

For all of the teamwork that went behind Jack Maddux taking the Jr 15-16 General Classificiation and Marcus Smith taking the Jr 17-18 Stage Two win, I felt it appropriate to share a quick story of Marcus Smith on his 18th birthday.

Marcus joined our team in 2007 so this is his sixth year with our program.  On his 16th birthday in the San Dimas road race, he broke away from the category 3's field to win!  I was in the follow car so I only heard reports of his attack and barely holding off the field.  It was a special day for Marcus and his last race as a category 3. 

Last Friday, just six days from his 18th birthday, Marcus shared with me and his teammates his plans to win Saturday's stage.  I ask this of my junior teammates so that they are accountable for their actions and so that they visualize their successes before they live them.

The San Dimas road race was contested in cold (low 50's), windy (up to 25mph) and wet (downpour) conditions yet Marcus attacked the field right where he said he would and soloed in for the win.  As he approached the finish line I could see that he was about to give himself one of the best birthday presents anyone can give so I naturally shouted out "Happy Birthday Marcus" and celebrated with him.  Happy 18th Marcus!

Cheers, Larry Nolan, Team Specialized

No comments: