Thursday, March 22, 2012

SMITH OPTICS 'PIVLOCK V90' REVIEW


Smith Optics has come on board as the sunglass sponsor of Team Specialized Racing for 2012. Smith Optics has generously provided 2 pairs of sunglasses (and team caps) to each junior racer- the ‘Pivlock V90’ for racing and the ‘Terrace Polarized’ for casual wear.

I had the opportunity to wear the Pivlock V90 last weekend in the 2012 San Dimas Stage Race contested in freezing cold temperatures, blustering winds, storms and heavy rains, so I think I have got a pretty good idea about how they work and what I like about the glasses.

The Pivlock V90 specs include an interchangeable lens system,
which comes with 3 different lenses- yellow mirror, ignitor, and clear. A lightweight frame (made of Evolve frame material) that is both sleek and form fitting. We got the white frame but it also comes in orange, matte black, blue, black, smoked crystal, and pink anodized. And for cyclists with less than 20/20 vision, a RX adaptor is available.

The thing you probably want to know more than anything though is if the Pivlock V90 is any good for racing. In one word, YES!


As you can see, I wore the Pivlocks under epic weather conditions and experienced zero problems. I found the frame to be very light and form fitting. Saturday’s road race was brutal. It was pouring rain and howling wind, but I didn’t have any problems with the glasses staying in place. Not having to continually adjust my glasses while racing is a huge plus for me. The weather cleared up for Sunday’s criterium, but it was overcast. I swapped out the clear lens for the yellow mirror lens, hoping the yellow tint would cut down on glare and shadows. I was not disappointed. The yellow mirror lens was the way to go!

In my opinion, the Pivlock V90 is a great sunglass for cycling. They provide good coverage, are lightweight and comfortable, and come with 3 different lenses that are very easy to change. If you are looking to buy new sunglasses, I encourage you to try a pair of Smith Optics’ Pivlock V90s.

I want to thank Smith Optics for their support and I look forward to racing in my Pivlock V90s in 2012.

Diego Binatena
Team Specialized Junior Racing

No comments: