Friday, March 23, 2012

San Dimas Road Race

San Dimas was a popular junior race this year. There were 105 riders in combined fields of 15-16s and 17-18s racing together. Our team was set up well going into stage 2. Jack was .1 seconds from the yellow jersey (15-16s) and in the 17-18s we were 4th (Kyle), 6th (Dean), and 8th (I/Marcus). We knew that in order to take the lead in both categories we needed to race aggressively. The race started at 8am in the rain and cold. I started at the back of the pack (nature calls) and most of the team was at the front. Dean and Kyle set a hard tempo for the first 5 miles and I worked my way up to them. They were very smart in doing this, because on my way I saw 5 crashes. After the first of 7 laps the field was down to a manageable 50 riders. We tried to attack, but the next big event happened on lap 3. At the end of a fast descent there is a 45˚ right turn onto a dam. The road is covered in paint and metal storm drains. The front slowed and the rest of us couldn't break in time. Multiple crashes began and riders slid across the road. Jack got torn up pretty well and I did an endo over another rider. I got up quickly and chased for a few miles before catching up. Luckily Jack had some 15-16 teammates who waited for him as he untangled his bike. He caught up quickly after.

On the following lap Matt (15-16) went on the attack. He peaked at a gap of 1:30 and stayed away for 2 laps. A few large teams worked to pull him back. The third place rider on the 17-18 GC did so much work that he was dropped later in the race. Thank you Matt. After Matt was caught, Kyle and I began attacking hard. We counter- attacked each other for 3 laps. Chris (17-18) was dropped on the hard climbs, but would then chase the group down and make an attack. This helped Kyle and I out tremendously. Chris sacrificed his race to help us get away. Every time we would attack the first and second place riders on GC would chase us down. Finally with 1 lap to go I got in a break with 5 riders. I didn't work because the riders were higher than me on GC (team plan), but this forced the yellow jersey to do a huge effort to bring it back. Kyle watched this and waited behind the yellow jersey. At the base of a roller he launched an attack. He was caught and we attacked back and forth 4 times. The GC riders were tiring and we knew that this was our chance.

With 5 miles to go I attacked on the flats before a roller. I took one rider with me, but he dropped off at the top. I had a 3 sec gap on the descent and I decided to roll it. Kyle managed the front and about half way down they all slowed and didn't want to work. The gap grew quickly and by the time I hit the climb, I was out of sight. I paced myself up the climb and pushed hard over the top. I used the entire road on the descent hitting 45MPH+ in the pouring rain. I had to risk it because I was in a prime position to win and I had confidence in my equipment. My Zipp wheels had preformed well thoughout the day in the horrible weather and I knew how the bike handled in sub ideal conditions from winter training in the rain and snow. I made it down the descent safely and I pushed hard on the flats for the final 2 miles. I held the shattered field off by 17 seconds. Kyle road amazing, finishing in the first group of 4 riders and Jack took the GC in the 15-16s by 22 seconds. I moved into 3rd on GC and Kyle remained in 4th.

We tried to get away in the crit the following day, but nothing was sticking. Saturday was the highlight for the 17-18 team, because it was long enough and hard enough for us to use our fitness and teamwork. Thank you to all of my teammates for working hard and setting me up with the opportunity to break away and win solo on an epic day.

Marcus Smith

No comments: