Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pain Is The Name of The Game

San Dimas Stage Race:
The SDSR followed a very hard Madera Stage race. After Madera I came down with a sore throat and a cold but I fought it and was able to make it to San Dimas healthy, but tired and with very little riding in my legs.

The Time Trial was the first event, on Friday morning. I woke up feeling nervous but ready. I held a consistent pace up the climb and I almost puked twice at the finish so I know I went all out. I placed 70th out of 100, so not a great day but I was not disappointed since my teammates placed well, taking 4th, 16th, and 17th.

On Saturday we had a very windy, rainy, and cold road race. Nick, Jason, and I were in charge of protecting Diego's 4th in GC. With 3 +/- laps to go a rider broke away, and shortly after we were neutralized. After the neutralization me and Nick started to chase the solo rider (Jason had been pushed into a hay bale early on and was still chasing at this point.) Coming into the KOM climb I did not make the turn and kept going straight. I had to stop, hop a small fence and get back on my bike.

Suffering in the Road Race

I had about 16 miles of racing left. I had to finish within 10% of the winners time to make the time cut. I ran some calculations in my head and figured out that if the pack went a little faster the next two laps than the previous six I could average 15mph and barely make the time cut. It was hard but with that goal in my head I managed to finish around 13 minutes down with a 3 minute cushion. My teammate Diego finished in the pack after a brutal last two laps of racing. Nick finished right behind the pack and Jason had to pull out with one lap left.

Sunday was the day of the Criterium. The team goal was to get Diego the 12 or so seconds he needed to move into 5th on GC.  Nick and I attacked a few times to weaken the field, but every move was shut down. 25 minutes into the stage there was a sprint for extra GC time, Diego took 2nd securing some extra time. Diego also placed 2nd in the finishing sprint which was enough to bring him within 5 seconds of the podium. A great effort by the team and Diego.

Attacking in the Criterium

Thank you to everybody who made this race possible.

Jonathan Christensen

No comments: