Sunday, February 28, 2010

First race in Oregon

Spring is in the air, but its February. This weekend I made my galiant return to racing after a great cross season. It's always weird to get used to the line at the porta-potties and their distinct smells.

The Banana Belt race series was cold and wet last year. However today was a different story. Mid 40 degree temps, low clouds, some sun breaks, dry pavement, and a still Hagg lake. I even saw my shadow. It was a really good day for the nice white Specialized kit.


The Pro 1/2 race went off just fine, as we set out on 5 laps of the 11 mile course. It's weird how quickly racing comes back. The reactions to he group, and attacking. It's all so automatic. The bigger teams set out to make every roller hard. Land Rover-Orbea always had someone up the road. I got in a few breaks, but nothing ever stuck. My legs felt the familiar burn as we crested each roller. My lungs were another story. I woke up with a little bit of a sore throat, and I think I'm catching something. Nevertheless I felt good.


On the final lap attacks came and went, as I tried to line myself up for the eventual sprint. But coming onto the dam some lady was in the middle of the road, and caused a pile up that I was stuck behind. I stayed mostly upright, but still had to unclip and deal with bikes in the way. I saw any hope of a good finish ride away with the rest of the group. So I ended riding back with an old friend on Land Rover to claim some spot at the back. Great. Perhaps next week a crash won't rain on my parade, instead it will just rain.

No comments: