Saturday, February 13, 2010

Cherry Pie


This years Cherry started off the same as the previous two years have done. Cold, but sunny and dry. In case you do not know the course, it is a "p" shaped with a slight uphill finish. I did my usual routine of getting ready/warming up and headed for the start line about 10 minutes before the race was set to start. As the last few times, roll out took a while, in fact we started the race about 8 minutes late. That resulted in the race being 21 minutes long (or should I say 21 minutes short) From the gun there were a few attacks. Cody Tapley (DBC) tried going off a few times, but no success. About halfway into the race, Peter Taylor and Andrew Lanier were off the front. They were obviously working great together and took a 1-2. Knowing we could still fill one of the podium spots with a big "S", we now all looked to James Laberge to take the field sprint. Half way into the last lap, the pace slowed, not the ideal situation before a sprint. I decided to hit the front knowing I could carry James all the way through to the last 250m. As I pulled off at the beginning of the hill, James initiated his sprint, but disaster, he overshifted and his chain fell of his big ring. Luckily, Eemon was still there to take the sprint and James managed a top 5.



The Cat 3's was a whole different story. It started off pretty slow the first few laps, but then attacks came flying from everywhere. A nice break with Andrew and Eemon formed and stayed off the front for a few laps. With about 3 laps to go, Marcus bridged. Unfortunately for them though, they got caught on the line with 1 lap to go. I knew it was my time to shine. I held 5th wheel through the whole last lap, and coming out of the chicane into the last few hundred meters I had the perfect line. With about 200m to go the fellow racer on my left elbowed me out of his way and almost into the curb. This had messed up my plan because I wanted to stay in the draft as long as I could and then pop out at the last second. Anyways, now that I was in the wind, I put it into gear and went. I held on for 5th place. Not bad, but I know I could have done much better.

Peter Taylor was the real star that day. He raced the P/1/2's and bridged to an 11 man gap with Adam Switters. As he was sprinting for second place, he and Ryan Eastman collided and they both went down. Let's all hope he heals soon from his road rash to bring in a great result like that!

Thanks for reading
David Benkoski

1 comment:

Jack_Maddux said...

David, the picture looks awesome! Very legit=)