Saturday, February 20, 2010

Valley Of The Sun 15-16

In the beginning of the year the 15-16 team planned to race Valley of The Sun together. We had a strong team: Alistair Eeckman, Chris LaBerge, and I (Marcus Smith). Two weeks before the race the 13-14 team: Jack Maddux and Matt Valencia looked at the 13-14 profile and decided that a 44 mile RR was better for their fitness than a 9 mile RR. Now with 5 teammates we had a great chance to do well and practice teamwork.

Friday was a 14 mile TT. TTs have always been a challenge for me, but I felt great. I kept my mind focused and pedaled as fast as I could. Alistair also rode a great TT and I finished 3rd 10sec in front of Alistair's 4th out of 30 racers.Matt (14) finished 13th. His speed over 14 miles would have won the 13-14s 7 mile TT by over a minute. 13-14s better watch out at nationals.

Saturday was a 44 miles RR. On the GC 2nd to 5th place were each separated by about 10 seconds. I originally wrote the report and was too lengthy. In short: Alistair attacked on the climb and made everyone hurt, but was caught. Chris and Matt attacked on the last lap to keep it fast. They did a great job and scared the field. On the finial climb Alistair and I countered Matt's attack. We got away from the group and we started to work together. Alistair did some strong pulls, but Erik Volotzky (5th in GC) bridged up to us and caught us with 500m. He kept going and won. I got enough time to move to 2nd in the GC. Alistair held his 4th by 1 second to Erik.

Sunday was the crit. The officials said we were racing separately from the 17-18s, but with 30sec before our race they put us in the same field. Alistair tried to attack and get time in the GC, but the field was too strong. The top 15-16s covered all the attacks and it came down to a sprint. Going into the final 2 turns Erik attacked and I tried to go with him. I couldn't hold my sprint for 750m. I ran out of gas, tried to hold off Alex Darville (3rd in GC). I finished 3rd and Alistair 6th.

I ended up 2nd and Alistair 4th.

I owe the best team at Valley of the Sun a big thanks for all the work they did.

No comments: