Saturday, May 3, 2008

Racing with Levi and Scott

Today I raced one of the grasshopper series event in prep for Mt. Hood. It was an epic 85 mile race with 8,000 ft. of climbing. In addition, 1/4 of it was off road. It was right up my alley. Levi, as well as Scott Nydam of BMC showed up. Once things got fast, only about 20 stayed with the lead group. Things split up even more, and the lead group became 5 riders, all cat 1's or pros. I was one of the riders struggling to catch that group. We hit a dirt descent, where I saw Scott on the side of the road, fixing a flat. I knew he would be coming up fast, very soon. Sure enough, I took a quick look back and saw him flying towards me. I knew I had to match his speed, then jump on. Once I latched on, I couldn't believe the speed he chased the group with. Also, I was shocked at his ability to maintain that speed. I gave it everything I had, just to hold on. It was the fastest I had ever gone to date. We actually caught the group, and there was Levi! I felt like a pro at that point, but it didn't last long. Another steep climb, and Levi and Scott were completely out of reach... maybe someday. Some hills were so steep, that a 39x27 wasn't even close to being the right gear. I finished 13th out of 80 and had a great day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

what an exciting story... thanks for sharing and congratulations on a great race Davis. Let's hope Scott and Levi caught word that you are only 16 years old! Lar