Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Jr. Wente Crit

On Saturday we had the Wente Road Race. On the flats near the end of the first lap of two, Joel had James and I counter-attack each other to wear down the group. Then Joel had the two of us pull the group up the lower slopes of the climb to set up Joel and Davis for attacks on the steep section of the climb. After Joel and Davis attacked I never saw the group again. We ended up finishing 3rd and 4th with Daniel taking 3rd and Joel taking 4th.


On Saturday I gave my race up for the team and on Sunday during the crit the team gave their race up for me by not attacking and waiting in the pack.


On Sunday in the 15-16 race we raced around 15 laps. On the sixth lap someone attacked on the finishing straight. We caught them half way around the course. Then Zac Wick, a 16 year old from Davis attacked on the left and I was on the right. I called "Left." No one covered the attack so I chased him down. I followed him for a lap then I looked back and saw that we had a large gap. I pulled through. We worked together for the rest of the race. He did about 80 percent of the work. The break stayed because we were the strongest team there and Davis was the second strongest. Both teams were following all the attacks from the peloton. Our gap continued to grow until they neutralized us with 4 laps to go. A rider crashed early in the race on one of the first laps and then later called the ambulance. This gave us a chance to get our energy back, which I much needed. When they stopped the race and we had a minute gap. When we started again we went hard from the gun and stayed away. I died on the last lap and he beat me in the sprint. I finished second.

1 comment:

James Anderson said...

Nice job Marcus, way to take it to those bigger guys!