Monday, May 19, 2008

In the Hood - Hood River Criterium

Since barring a mishap we had the GC sewn up the team plan was to launch Billy and Craig to go for the stage win. Since Craig was only 11 seconds out of the top 10, we were also hoping to move him up into 10th place. As an added bonus, my parents who have retired and moved to Oregon had made the trip to Hood River to watch the criterium.

The race started off agressively and in short order Billy was off the front with 45+ leader David Zimbleman and Rich Thurman. It had the makings of a successful break, but after a few prime sprints they stopped cooperating and were brought back. Craig made a number of attempts to get away but he was marked too closely.

With about 20 minutes to go they rang the bell for a $100 prime. I had good position and followed an attack by John Browning who was 4th on GC. I was unable to come around him for the cash but his accelleration had created a large gap and when he sat up I kept going. It was a low percentage move, but I figured maybe it would start something and I'd get some company or set up a counter by one of my team mates. What happened though was that every time somebody attacked or started a chase, my guys would follow the right wheels to discourage that chase. While I was going at a steady speed, the pack was alternating going faster than me and slower than me. But due to the efforts of the team, the net effect was that I got a 20 second gap and was able to hold it. My only thoughts were:

1. DON'T crash solo in the hair pin like a moron!
2. Keep it steady, don't dig too deep.
3. LABOR!
4. Did I mention don't crash in the hair pin?

In the end, I had the pleasure of winning in front of my parents due to the help of the best team that I could imagine being part of. I am truly thankful for their help and lucky to have them as friends and team mates.

In the end we won all four stages in the 35+ race with Rob and Billy winning the circuit race and the time trial respectively and 1st, 2nd, 5th and 11th on GC with myself, Rob, Wyatt and Craig. And we also had fabulous weather, which considering the past editions of this race was a welcome relief.

Already looking forward to next year...

2 comments:

phipps said...

Congratulations! You guys really dominated. Sounds like a great race. I hope I can convince a Morgan Stanley contingent to go up next year.

CP

Manley Man said...

I wouldn't be surprised to see some SJBC'ers up there next year too.