Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Tennessee State Championships

I'm posting this for my teammate Kent Bostick. We're talking about a 54 year old man winning the elite criterium championships for the state of Tennessee. Kent took out his USCF license before most of these riders were born! Enjoy- Larry

I won the Tennessee PRO/1 Criterium Championship on June 24 held in Cookeville, TN. The race was 75 minutes timed plus 5 laps on a 0.8 mile course. About 45 riders started in 95 degree heat with rain threatening. This was a race of team lieutenants that lapped the field as the team leaders watched each other and negated each other's moves. Dirk Pohlman's team Krystal lieutenant Brad Spears went from the gun. I tried to get across but was brought back before I could bridge. Then Geri Mewitt (Team Hincapie) jumped and I followed him up to Spears. We lapped the field with one other random rider. I am certain Mewitt, the World Small Country Road Race Champion from Bermuda, could have done this all by himself. He just kept us around so that Dirk wouldn't chase. After getting back in the field, some local pros including Eric Murphy (Toshiba/Aerospace Engineering) and Spencer Beamer (VR and winner of this year's Tour de Moore) got away. Dirk did the noble thing and pulled for lieutenant Brad to prevent the escapes from lapping. On the last lap, Dirk was leading Brad and Geri, but forgot to close the door on an important turn. I attacked just before the turn on and uphill before three sweeping downhill corners with 600 meters to go. The downhill turns in rapid succession prevented anyone from passing me on either the inside or outside. I celebrated the win with one arm raised as the others came blasting past .... just after the line. In addition to a decent payday I was given a wonderful hand-cast relief of a cyclist for a trophy. Remember back when they used to give trophies? Kent

3 comments:

Erik the angry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erik the angry said...

Nice win, Kent! Sounds like it was a fun course, too...

Unknown said...

I thought I was the "author"... who's got access to remove a comment and what did this viewer have to say that was so offensive? Just curious. Lar