Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Breaking Rules and Shimano Shoe Review - SH-R300


Given that my last post created so much good will and I've captured your attention :), I thought I'd use this as a chance to give a shout out to Wayne Stetina and Shimano, who provide huge product support of the team, in the way of a glowing product review.


Back story:
Up until last year I had used Time products for almost 10 years but have since been totally converted to Shimano. Despite some production delays, I walked up to my porch on Friday (the day before the infamous Pescadero RR) to find a nice brown box from Shimano with a brand new pair of SH-R300 cycle racing shoes in it.

The rule:
Never, and I mean never bolt on, put on or use a product in a race for the very first time. (Mick)

Review:
We've all been there....you get a shiny new fandangled part etc. and despite your instinct, you use it anyway. Well, I couldn't resist the new silver shoes either. They went on like a glove so I headed down to the shop to have them molded via the Shimano oven. It's around a 2o minute process. Since I have my own orthotics I opted to not use the moldable ones provided by Shimano...but they looked as if they were top quality. The guys at the shop told me to let them cure for 24hrs. I said, "but guys, the Pescadero Norcal Road Championships are tomorrow". Well, it turns out that you can have them remolded up to 10 times. There was some danger that the cure wouldn't stick, but I decided to chance it.

In addition to all the cool features, straps, weight, carbon, air vents, reflective heel, etc. the shoes just fit well. While standing on the pedals it didn't feel like any one part of my foot was bearing all the weight...it was evenly distributed.

So I rolled up to the start line with my shiny new shoes on and the first time up stage I couldn't help but notice how much better my pedal stroke felt. I have a tendency to point my toes, but it felt as if I was pushing with a flatter foot now. While following a few moves and really standing on the pedals, it felt as if all the power was going straight to the pedal with no shoe flex. Yeah, it's possible to do this with other shoes, but generally it requires that the straps tighten to the max and with the SH-R300 I barely had the straps tight. As the race wore on, I tightened the straps, most likely due to being less hydrated, and didn't feel as if my toes were going to go numb.

Despite breaking the rule(s), the shoes felt great, my knees didn't hurt and overall I rate the shoes as the best I've ever used. No lie. I'm absolutely sure the new shoes contributed to my stellar 2nd place finish. Maybe a GPS system will help me win so I know what obstacles are in the last 200 meters. ;)

I'm sure Dave Prion down at Bicycle Outfitter would love to hook you up with some.
Here is link to the product: Shimano SH-R300

Juniors, despite the fact that I broke the rule and didn't have any problems, I promise you that it's very rare. So follow the rules and don't use new or untested equipment for the first time in a race. You'll save yourself a ton of grief.

Safe riding,
Dylan