Monday, June 11, 2007

Pescadero Road Race: I Won, didn't I?

There's a story here and most importantly a good lesson for the AMD/Discovery Channel Juniors...

It's true, even though I was the first rider across the finish line of the race, I'm not the official winner per the USCF officials. The short story is that the 4 rider break, that I was in, rushed up on dropped riders (a few cars at 1k to go too) as we approached the last 200 meters to the finish line at the top of Haskins Hill. It's also important to point out that the last 200 meters are covered in a chicane(Google Map) of sorts and as I launched my sprint I was forced to make a split second decision to go on the left side of Chris, Team Safeway (plug to his sponsor), to avoid the dropped riders on the right hand side of the road. At the instant I was passing Chris, he moved slightly left and I was (gently) forced across the center line. I was already going at least 10km/h faster at that point and easily made it to the line in front. I won, didn't I?

The details if you care:
Did I break the rules according to the USCF rulebook? Technically yes, I crossed the center line in the last 100 meters. Should I have been relegated to 2nd place? I say no. The officials argued that I broke the rules and that there was no room for subjectivity or discretion despite the situation because they were there to enforce the rules. Their explanation was that if a CHP had witnessed the finish, the permit for next year would be denied. It's important to note that the center line rule is not put into affect for rider safety, but in place per the road permit issued by the CHP. On a side note I would argue that it's more dangerous to not have a full road closure w/200 meters to the line vs. an open finish. I even asked why they couldn't simply hold traffic for the 10 seconds it takes for riders to travel the last 200M (especially for an uphill sprint), they don't let riders ride back down the course...in fact when I stopped to get a drink the officials were yelling at me to turn around and go the other way because the next race was finishing. While I fully support the race's longevity in front of my own individual situation, I think the argument is a bit on the weak side and looses sight of the reason we're all out there racing our bikes.

I asked the officials the following questions with the intent of positioning their subjectivity on the important elements of bike racing vs. the perspective that focuses on the exact placement of where the number is pinned:
1. Did they recognize that there were lapped riders in the road while we were sprinting? Yes.
2. Was it their opinion that I won the race as a result of crossing the center line? No.
3. I even asked Chris, the Safeway rider, if he thought I won as a result of crossing the center line? "Uh, probably not."

I personally would never want to win a race because the guy who beat me was relegated for a minor infraction. Remember when a certain person didn't want to wear the leader's jersey due to the circumstances that gave him the lead? Yeah, I know..it's not the same and I'm not that person..but I'm positioning your perspective to see mine.

Am I trying to convince you that I was wronged? No...Then why does this matter? Well, with all due respect to the officials and commissars, I feel strongly that a race should be decided on merit, strength, and in the spirit of competition....of course while recognizing the rules that actually matter. But what's the real issue here? I can't help but recognize that it seems like the small local race officials (generalization-doesn't apply to all of them) think small. Example: Don't fold the 4 numbers we gave you, wear your helmet to the porto-potty, don't stand here etc. etc. I'm sure from their perspective they're totally 100% correct and please know that I'm appreciative of their time/energy standing out there all day long while we ride around...but why don't they see the big picture? Is it because they themselves haven't' experienced anything on the big stage? Did they race? Did they win races? I don't' know...probably doesn't matter but why does that official yell with such ferocity that I need to move my number? OK, yeah the camera can't see it etc...but won't I suffer as a result of not being picked? Perhaps they have the same passion for officiating that I do for riding my bike?

-
On a side note...the Pescadero Road Race is by far one of the best road races in the country and should be a much bigger event given that it's the type of course that will really prepare Juniors and U23 for going to Europe.
-

OK, back to my rant....there has to be room for discretion with an emphasis on the spirit of sport. Hell, I know I crossed the center line descending down stage road earlier that day...and I bet you did to. I also crossed the center line turning off stage to 84...Should we all be disqualified? Why not? Perhaps you'll recall a race where the main peleton finished well outside of the time limit, but the officials looked the other way due to how lame a 10 rider race would be the next day. How about when a rider drifts back to talk to his director in the team car during a low point of the stage and holds on for a few seconds....the commissars wouldn't think of penalizing the rider. On a tangential note, I was way off the back in the 11th stage of this race in Spain and in real trouble. The race official came to me and said (in Spanish), "look, you're too far back to make the time limit and the police who are keeping the road closed for you need to get to the hotel for dinner, I'm going to look the other way and that motorcycle over there is going to help you get over this climb." Needless to say, my arm was a little sore the next day..but presented with my options it was either hold on for a bit or go home. The official recognized that I was having a bad day and that it wasn't going to change the outcome of the race if I started the next day (I suffered in the next stage too) and besides, they all wanted to get home for dinner. You get my point.

The Lesson and important reason for my post:
In the end, the officials ruled and I lost. Does it really matter to me? No, but what matters most of all is that the Juniors on our team, and those of you who are reading, learn vicariously through my experience. The take away from all of this is to pay attention to the rules, but put all of your value/passion into hard work, dedication and winning. When the officials make a ruling that you don't agree with just take your medicine and think about how you're going to win the next weekend. Cycle racing is full of ups and downs...mostly downs, so being able to roll with the punches and focus on the silver lining is the key to surviving the sport and having any chance at making a career out of it. You must learn how to eat bitterness and like it.

To end, I'd like to give a shout out to Cassani for not even hesitating when asked to ride on the front and to Billy for having my back and laughing at everyone when I went up the road. My 2nd place was a real team effort (including the officials) and I'm very proud to be a part of this squad.

Also, an overall shout out to the Alto Velo Bike Club for putting on an amazing event. Next year, I'll be sure to show up to the finish line solo. :)