Saturday, November 30, 2013

LAGP

Last week I drove down to Los Angeles, where over three days I competed in the LA Grand Prix. This was not only my last race as a junior but what I am pretty sure was my last race where I had the privilege to represent Specialized.

I arrived on the Thursday where I met up with Larry at the track for a final spin before the competition started the following day. My goal was to be the top 5 in the omnium and just see what I could do in the Madison and Scratch race. Being up against the likes of Bobby Lea, Hilton Clarke and Zac Kovalcik was a shock at first but I managed to calm my nerves for the first event. We had a full roster of 24 riders, the most allowed on the track at any time so I knew I was in for a good event. In the first event flying lap, I held the fastest time for 12 heats with a time of 14.589 and a new PB.  I finished 10th.  The next two races were the points race, followed by the elimination race both of which I had bad luck in.   I missed the winning break away in the point’s race and in the elimination I got pulled with 10 riders to go.  My fault was sitting too close to the back and not realizing that there were two riders behind me instead of just one.  With the first three races and the first day done I was in 13th place which was not ideal and I was far from happy.

The second day was my day, with the Individual pursuit and kilo on the same day I knew that I could make up for the poor performance of the previous day. My pursuit was slower than my planned schedule, however I managed a time of 4.49.229, 2 seconds slower then what I had set out to achieve.  I had a lot of ground to make up in the scratch race if I wanted to get into the top 5. My plan was simple, attack the field until I get a lap.  That’s exactly what I did.  I launched two attempts in 12 laps of each other but none succeeded.  Unfortunately my second move was countered and 3 riders slipped off the front which left me and two other top riders to do the chasing. The three riders managed to take a lap but this did not bother me because I knew I still had 26 laps to get one myself.  I tried for a third time but was caught once again, it wasn’t until the fourth time with 9 laps to go that I launched a huge all-out effort  and managed to break free from the group.  I almost lapped the field in the 9 laps but just didn’t quite get there, I held off the front solo for fourth which moved me into 8th on the overall standings coming into the final race. The Kilo is a flat out no holding back killer event, my favorite.  I had a sluggish start but managed to bring it home strong finishing with an overall position of 7th.

So no, I didn’t achieve my goal of a top five finish which was a bit disappointing, but the competition was solid, so I’m happy with my efforts.  It’s good to set goals for yourself and I think even if you don’t make them it gives you the determination and eagerness to do better, train harder and achieve whatever it is you set out to do.

I’d like to thank Larry for helping me and watching me on the Friday evening, also to my teammates Sean, Jules and Nick for coming and watching me. I’d also like to make special mention to Dave McCook, my stand in coach when Larry wasn’t available.  Dave helped me with whatever it was I needed, he helped supply wheels for my timed races and gave some great coaching and racing advice. So to everyone who supported me in LA…thanks!

Owen Gillott

No comments: