Monday, November 11, 2013

Time Management

You might find it ironic that the guy writing about time management is the same guy who's blog post is two weeks overdue. Believe it or not, usually my time management is pretty good. But as you all know, its a hard thing to do. Throughout our lives trying to balance everything can sometimes be an impossible task. Us cyclist have many hours of training every week. We've also got our family, friends, wives, girlfriends, school, and jobs. All of which are very important. I hear it from my friends all the time that school should always be the most important thing on the list, and a lot of the time I tend to disagree. I don't disagree that school is extremely important but I think that in some cases our priorities may change. An example of this is, maybe its around VOS, San Dimas, Sea Otter, or another big race you would like to do well at, should you study an extra hour on that math test or should you take an extra hour on the bike? That's all up to you. But I believe that our priorities change to the occasion and sometimes you need to put back something else to strive in another. If you think of it as an equilateral triangle (where all angles are 60°'s) and you have your social, physical, and emotional health all equally balanced. This would be the perfect example of someone who is giving the same amount of time to each activity, making them 60°'s or balanced. But the life of a cyclist can usually be something more of a 45°, 45°, 90°. I don't know if this is just me, but a minimum of 15 hours a week on the bike doesn't leave a ton of free time. I'm not saying this is a bad thing at all, I love what I do and that's the reason I ride after school, and I wake up early on the weekends and ride. My point is that as cyclist with busy lives we have been taught to manage ourselves accordingly.

Sorry for being so overdue,
Grant McElroy

No comments: