Saturday, November 23, 2013

Mountain Bike Crash

For those in the mood for a good gory allegory, this is for you.

 In August of this year, after Road and Velodrome nationals, I went up mountain biking at Snow Summit Resort. It has a lift that takes you up to the top all day long and you get to ride down all of the mountain's different trails. I've been going there for 3 years and have loved every moment, even if I did occasionally crash. 

Anyways, it was a normal weekend and I was going down the same runs I always go down, when suddenly OOPS, my right hand slips off the handlebar! The bike skids out of control, rocketing down the hill with no back brake, and BAM, I superman into a bunch of sticks and woodchips. I stagger up and look down at my body. "ARRGGHH" I scream! My right thigh is a bloody mess, an avulsion full of debris and splinters. It looks like lasagna fresh out of the oven. I can't even feel pain because I'm in so much shock. Luckily, there's a group of riders behind me that come to my aid (it is a well travelled trail). One of them have a small medic kit and he tells me to sit down; I do and they call mountain patrol to take me down the mountain. While we we wait for the mountain patrol to arrive, they cover the wound with a thin cloth. The patrol eventually comes with a truck and they have me sit in it. We bump and roll down the mountain with my moans of pain in the background.
 Finally we reach the bottom and my mom drives me to the closet Emergency Room. After we make it to the hospital, I have to wait about 30 minutes for pain killers because there is so much paperwork to be filled out and approved. The nurse tells me to calm down on several occasions because I am freaking out from pain. Then, finally I am allowed painkillers and once I am injected, I immediately feel my eyes become heavy from the relief of the pain. I feel like a cloud wafting off to slumberland.

 They then fully put me to sleep and operate on the wound. After I wake up, I learn that they had surgically removed a medium size stick that had penetrated and broken off in my quad muscle. 

Wow, what an injury! I had to take about a month and half off the bike and struggled with walking for a while. I had to sit around a lot, and all I could think of was riding my bike, or doing anything other sitting around all day like a couch potato. I really came to appreciate what I have during that long road to recovery. 

My first ride back was amazing and I was so glad to be back on the bike. I definitely learned to appreciate my well being and realized that bad things can happen in a blink of an eye, yet can affect you for a long time.

I am really thankful for my parents helping me through this troubling time in my life. My dad literally gave me a shoulder to lean on. 

Have a happy Thanksgiving!
Jules


No comments: