Monday, August 27, 2012

No two races are the same

After a thousand plus races I can honestly say that no two races play out the same way.  When I was introduced to bicycle racing I quickly learned that the strongest rider doesn't always win.  As I bounce up through the masters age groups I find myself relying more and more on teamwork and race smarts, than the speed or strength that I did when I started racing 25 years ago.  As I adapt to an aging body and younger/ stronger masters competitors, I find this challenge to be fun, inspirational and difficult.  I am literally chasing youth!

A 45+ race was not offered at yesterday's Vacaville Grand Prix, so I jumped into the 35+ race with teammates Dean LaBerge, Don Langley and Bubba Melcher.  The Team Specialized masters are heading to Bend for USA Cycling Road Nationals next week, so we planned to ride aggressively, to push for a breakaway, and then sprint if it came down to that.  Ironically the very first breakaway contained all of the powerful teams so the six of us saw our gap widen.  Michael Buckley (Morgan Stanley), Jason Boyton (Folsom), Scott Fonseca (Zenn Racing), Ben Albracht (Gnarlube), Kyle Gelum (Safeway) and I.  I did my share to drive the break, hoping to force non-represented teams to take up the chase.  We rode smoothly as a breakaway but I didn't trust my fitness in finishing with these guys, so I went for a prime in hopes of splitting the group.  My effort dropped Kyle, but there were still five of us.  Next up, I did less work then my breakmates.  That helped to slow things down but the gap to the field was huge (we could see them on this figire 8 course).  Finally, I started gambling with Scott Fonseca as he had been glued to my wheel in the closing laps.  That tactic almost backfired as he too was willing to gamble.  Jason helped to lift the pace back to Michael and Ben, but at the bell Michael and Ben had a few seconds lead and Scott was still glued to my wheel, and Jason to his.  Thankfully Ben and Michael started playing games up front and just before the last turn we caught them, just in time to unleash a verrrrry long sprint.  I won!  But, if it wasn't for my talented and strong teammates in the field the breakaway would never have allowed me to sit on so much, so that I would still have enough energy to chase and sprint.  Thank you teammates!  I've never had a finish like that in all my years of racing.  It was memorable enough for me to share with you.  Thanks for reading.  Cheers, Larry

 


No comments: