Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Tour de L'abitibi

Back in July I raced the Tour de L'abitibi in Quebec, Canada.  Team Specialized had attended this race as a team in 2010 and 2011.  Instead of racing with Marcus and Kyle in Ireland I went to L'abitibi instead.  The race was 6 days July 16-22.  The race consisted of a very flat and consistently fast 600km of racing.  I raced for a composite team, Mid-Atlantic Development Foundation instead of Team Specialized.

This race was special also because it is my last race as a junior and before starting college August 23rd at Fort Lewis College in Durango, CO where I will be racing Collegiate Road and Mountain (starts September 2nd!).  I started racing cyclocross when I was 10 years old and at the time was the youngest age one could enter a sanctioned race.

The race was held in Rouyn Noranda, a new town for the race instead of the usual Amos or Val d'Or.  Each team fields 6 riders and there were several national teams there among Canadian and American Regional teams.  No European teams attended this year but it still was not an easy race.  The race is almost completely dictated on the 9.6km time trial on stage 3.  The race went well the first two days where I had top third finishes on the final 5km circuits into town.  The circuits and I become less of friends and more of enemies as the week progressed as it was riddled with road furniture and potholes.

Stage 3 was the time trial around a lake in town on a bike path.  This is one of my favourite TT's to date because it was technical and fast.  Our director didn't allow us to bring TT bikes so it hindered my performance.  I was in 28th in the TT 44' off the winner.  My aero setup was this: TT helmet, skinsuit, clip on aero-bars and 35mm Roval Carbon wheels.  Where 95% of the other riders were on full TT setups.   10 seconds faster and I would have been in the top 15.

The other stages all finished together for the most part until the last day.  Stage 7 was 50km into town and 10  5km circuits to finish the stage.  2 laps into the circuit race a group went up the road and I tried to bridge across.  I spent over one lap trying to chase on but I couldn't quite make contact with the group, along with being pulled back by Team USA for some reason.  This would have brought me up in GC several spots but I didn't make it.

All and all the race was a good experience and I believe I did the best I could considering the circumstances and the race not playing to my strengths (no climbing!).  I had a lot of fun racing with my Mid-Atlantic team mates and it showed me what being a real pro would be like.  It also capped of a very successful and very fun career as a junior cyclist.

                                              Getting aero on the foam pad in our classroom


                                                                          The team

                                        A true Canadian Meal, my daily dose of Tim Horton's!
                                               Stage 4 50KM circuit race in Malarctic, QC
                 A little customization I did to my Specialized Tarmac SL3 (her name is Jess Gysin) the Canadians                 absolutely loved this!

--Thank you for reading, Dean Haas

1 comment:

Stephina Suzzane said...

We have taken another giant step in our march toward Europe, ... The journey will be fraught with difficulties, and should Europe abide by its promises ? our success will then largely depend on you, the Turkish people.

Flights to Abuja
Cheap Flights to Abuja
Cheap Air Tickets to Abuja