Monday, July 23, 2012

Chasing Dreams...Cascade Classic Stage Race


The 2012 racing season is not over for me, not even close! And so starts the race I having been looking forward to since nationals; the race in one of my favorite towns- Bend, Oregon, with my favorite RV parks.

I want to do well in this race. All training I've done in the past year has been for nationals, and also for Cascade Classic Stage Race in Bend, Or.

I’ve been told that Stage 1 can make or break my overall finish in this race. This is my first time racing “CCSR” and my plan in Stage 1  is to ride in the front and go very hard up the final climb and sprint for the line. I've studied the course on Strava, trained smart, and incorporated a sprint workout 1x/week specifically for Stage 1 of Cascade - the theory being that if I can make it up the last killer climb with the climbers then I can out sprint them.

So with 10k to go, I go and I go hard. I feel strong and I’m able to push the pace with the leaders up the final hill. Good, now I just need to set up for the sprint. With 2k to go, I’m in the lead group of 20. The road flattens out and the pace picks up. As I’m setting up for the sprint, I’m exactly where I need to be. We are about to enter the final 1k when my leg cramps up and I’m not able to even turn the pedal. There goes my dream.  I feel crushed as I fall off the back of the lead group. To add salt to the wound, the chase group with 20 or more guys rides past me and I’m barely able to pedal and jump in. I roll through for 45th place, completely dumbfounded by what has just happened. Stage 1 is a huge bummer for me, but I’m determined to continue and I will not give up. Tomorrow is the time trial and the crit. Please check back to see how Stage 2 and 3 play out for me. 
Thanks for reading,
Diego Binatena, Team Specialized Junior Racing

No comments: