Monday, April 19, 2010

Murray Swanson

I hope someone who reads this entry knows Murray Swanson. If that's the case, please tell him about it for me.

This isn't about what we normally post on our blog. This is about kindness.

My non-driveside pedal came out of the crank arm in the Sea Otter Masters 35+ 1,2,3 road race on Saturday (we're still trying to figure out why?) just when I was cranking hard out of the saddle pushing over a little rise. I went straight down into the pavement. Not sure what had just happened, I layed there on my back dazed and confused and, quite frankly given my recent osteoporadic medical diagnosis, a little scared. Looking up at the sky, not wanting to move, the pain started to make its presence felt in all the body parts that had made contact with the road.

Suddenly a concerned face appeared over me. He had a helmet and racing jersey on. It was someone I didn't know but had seen all morning with me in our race. Someone I'm sure Kevin, Craig, Chris and I had been putting the hurt on for the last two and a quarter hours. Someone who stopped racing, giving up any chance he might have for a good finish, giving up his team responsibilities to help someone he didn't know and had never met. Why?

I can only guess and the answer for which can only come from him. But I don't need to guess what kind of person he is, it was obvious. He is kind and compassionate, someone to admire.

He stayed there with me until the firemen came to take care of me and Bob Leibold, our old friend from Velo Promo, loaded up my bike and helped me into the van to take me to my car. Once this man was sure I was in good hands, he finished his race, way off the back. Before he left, I asked him his name. He said Murray Swanson. I shook his hand and thanked him as best I could. Thank you again Murray, and even though I know you don't expect anything, I owe you one. My wife thanks you too! You're a wonderful person.

I don't know when or how but somewhere down the road, I am going to pay this one forward.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

GREAT recap Rob... Murray Swanson rides for Pen Velo and has been coming to the Tuesday Night track series for years. I can vouch for his kindness, good spirited nature and competitiveness. This is just one of the reasons why we love this sport. Yay Murray!

Oh, and glad to know that you are healing up. Larry

David Schaefer said...

Rob, I ride with Murray for Penvelo. I can give you his contact info or pass the good word on to him.

Feel free to contact me personally.

Dave Schaefer
davers944@yahoo.com

beth bikes! said...

Murray's a great, great guy. Sorry you had to meet him under such conditions, Rob!

But, you two should crack a drink open, for sure. Two swell cats who know how to ride their asses off and put it all in perspective.

hope your healing up, brother.
m

(hernando using Beth's account, since she's signed in)