Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Capitol Crit, Salem,OR

Going to the Capitol Crit in Salem, OR, we were rained and snowed on, so weren't sure who would be at the race. It turns out it was all the fast people that would be willing to race in a snow storm. The course was around the Oregon State Capitol building, 4 corners, fast, wide open streets, and even some broken pavement and potholes.


The Pro 1/2 race was fast from the start. There was always an attack, or always a break. I was in a few of them, and sometimes went solo. The legs were there so even as hard as the race was, I felt good. After me a Land Rover guy attacked and were brought back in, the field punched it, and we were left hanging on to the back for 2 laps. While I was recovering, riders started going off the front 1 by 1 and eventually they grouped up to form another chase group. With 10 laps to go I charged off the front by myself to bridge up to the chase group. I shut down their gap of 30 seconds in 4 laps, but had to go through hell to get there. Coming out of the last corner, a 3 man break was still away, but the sprint out of group was going to be crazy. Land Rover was leading it out, but I nipped everyone on the corner. I ended up getting 4th in the field sprint and 7th in the race. It was a good day, one where I actually raced in the sun and not the snow.



No comments: