Thursday, July 19, 2007

Jr. Nationals Road Race- Davis Bentley

I'm posting this unedited race write-up for 15 year old teammate Davis Bentley. His original e-mail to our team was titled "next year" and as you read this post you will know why. Cheers, Larry
***
When we finally started the Jr. 15-16 road race at 9:00 a.m. versus the scheduled 7:40 a.m. time because of a terrible crash, everyone was feeling eager and nervous. Although the start was neutral, some were trying to discreetly move up in position. As the guy on the motorcycle gave the okay, people instantly got into race mode. When we went up one of the first rolling hills, 10-15 minutes into the race, a kid got a little too excited and ran into my rear wheel, breaking two spokes. The first thing I thought was "what now?" I kept riding with the broken wheel, then got to the very back of the pack, just making contact with the last riders. I stayed there, raising my hand, waiting for the Shimano support car. I have a Campy group, so I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. It was a good wheel change, but the group was still far away. I was shocked that it the gears worked, and it gave me great motivation to quickly catch the group. I started to move up to my original position. Daniel offered some encouragement, however at the next steep rolling hill I shifted down to the correct gear, but the chain slipped and wouldn't work at all. I kept shifting down until I found a gear that would hold at all. It just happened to only work in the easiest cog. As I experimented with the gears on the flats, I discovered that I had two climbing options, the easiest gear and one much farther down. At that point I knew that it was over, and I felt like quitting right then. I was feeling the strongest I ever had in my life, and the fact that I was missing out on a great result clouded my mind. This was because it made me just a spectator in the race. Every time we hit a big hill, I had to stay on the nose of the saddle, spinning at 120 rpm. It was very frustrating to see the riders that I would normally be with, get away like that. It felt so strange being with a chase group that I normally wouldn't be with, even though I was glad to see the rest of the team doing okay. I asked myself, "What am I doing here? What's the point if I can't even use all my strength? " I simply couldn't give up -- No matter what. I decided to do the best I could given the circumstances. I kept spinning out on the hills, chasing with other riders, and being part of the race. As I crossed the finish line, People cheered as usual. I had a smirk on my face, wondering what might have been. The good news is that I have next year, and next year I won't be just a spectator.Davis

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Davis,

Consider riding Shimano Components next year so you have perfect compatibility with Shimano wheels from Neutral Support for Nationals? Mavic also uses Shimano Gearsets for their PRO tech support in the USA . SRAM is also Shimano spacing & they have a large Neutral tech program that is likely to be supporting major regional Junior races in the future. So Campy is the odd spec & they do ZERO neutral tech support as far as I know.

FYI: If you have an inline barrel adjuster for the Rear Derailleur & know how to adjust on the fly, you should have been able to fine tune an adjustment that all the gears would be raceable, even though Shimano cog spacing is slightly narrower than Campy. As long as you are using the newer Campy ultra-narrow chain (or any other 10 spd chain that fits between Shimano cogs, Andy Stone has been able to adjust Campy bikes in the work stand to function in all the gears with a Shimano gear set. Shimano gearsets are raceable in Campy bikes, but a Campy gearset is never raceable in a Shimano bike. Also the Campy inline adjuster is not indexed (notched) so adjusting on the fly is far more difficult because there is no incremental reference point how much you are changing the cable tension.

Wayne Stetina

stu run said...

Davis,

Don't worry about what you can't control on race day. You did great with what you had available.

That said, as I told your Uncle Brad, tell your dad to come forward to 2007. ha ha.

your time will come. The mental things you learn from an experience like that - to keep moving forward and not quit - will serve you well in the future!

your time will come!

Stu Gibson (Phoenix)