Monday, June 16, 2014

The Long View


Reflecting on my past two weekends of racing at Pescadero and Nevada City it has become evident that, despite the amount of time I have spent riding and racing, my cycling career is just beginning. I enjoyed seeing the benefits of my hard work and dedication leading in to nationals (only three weeks away now) at both races.
            For those who aren’t familiar with either of these NorCal hallmark races Pescadero is a 103 mile, hilly, and often relatively windy road race through the coastal roads of Pescadero and La Honda; Nevada City is a 54-year-old classic that consists of 90 minutes (roughly 30 laps) around a 1.1 mile circuit split between half a lap of tough climbing and the other half of high-speed descending into two off-camber, left hand corners. These are two of my favorite courses all year, and the Pescadero loop also serves as one of my standard long ride routes.
            Pescadero was my second ever 100+ mile ride and first 100+ mile race, and a true test of my endurance. The race was highly attended with Mike’s Bikes, Marc Pro Strava, CalGiant and Vumedi all sending full squads, and local pro Ben Jacques-Maynes hot off of the Amgen Tour of California. Long story short, the race was one of attrition and I came into the final ascent up Haskins Hill well fueled and hydrated, and in good position for a top-ten finish. However, my legs quickly decided that they had done enough for the day and the metaphorical wheels came off about half a kilometer into the climb. In survival mode I pulled every last bit of energy and power out of my legs as riders, seemingly, “sauntered” past me. While I may not have achieved my desired result on the day, I recognize how far I have come in the past few years, and that the endurance to be competitive in 100+ mile road races comes with years and years of riding. Pescadero served as a great endurance overload coming into nationals.
            Nevada City also reinforced the fact that I have plenty more racing in my career and that there is always the next race. Added to my normal race plan was the fact that Neilson would be racing with me in his first P1/2 race. It was a treat to have a teammate in a local race. About halfway through the race, after feeling really good and being aggressive at the front of the race, I was forced into the hay bale on the outside of turn two when the rider in front of me, and slightly to my left, slid out. Luckily, I was able to scrub off most of my speed (the corner is normally taken at or in excess of 30 mph), and escape with all of my skin and no broken bike bits. After getting out of the hay bale, and get myself reoriented the field was about 40 seconds ahead of me. With adrenaline flowing I flew, charging up the climb in pursuit. Unfortunately when I got to roughly 15 seconds adrift of the field riders attacked and I was unable to regain contact. I finished the race, resenting what could have been, but aware that I will go back next year with a vengeance. I am grateful to have come out unscathed, and send my best wishes to Tim Aiken who broke his collarbone.
            Now it is on to Nationals as I put the final touches on my form.

Jason S.

No comments: