Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Value of Life

This last week, Owen and I were approached and harassed by a motorist on one of the roads most traveled by cyclists. He exclaimed to us that WE put his life in danger, and it was our fault that a car passed us widely, and respectfully in a blind corner forcing him to veer to avoid.  He told me, that I do not value life, that I do not pay for the roads and do not deserve to ride on the roads he is able to drive.  He told me we are reckless and do not care about dying and do not care if other people die.

This is all wrong, I value and live life to the fullest. I take a chance every single day I ride, I may live or I may die. We never win in the battle between car and bicycle, and it will always end with the cyclist in a stretcher or in a body bag. I have personally been hit by a car, but I was lucky enough to escape with minor injuries.  I love cycling so much, that I take that risk everyday between living and dying.  When I ride, I live in the moment, loving every moment, knowing that it could end so quickly, by an accident, or by recklessness.  For me, it is worth the risk, and I will continue to take that risk until the day I die.




--Jack Maddux

No comments: