Thursday, April 11, 2013

Sometimes you've got to take chances

Yesterday I went out for one of my three hour weekday training rides, the weather was great and I was just in that perfect mood for a longer ride in the country. I was going on one of my usual 50 mile loops when I saw this road, this was a road I had passed hundreds of times but for some reason I had never ridden it. Without thinking I hung a left and started the climb. After about five minutes of this climb I started to think man why haven't I done this climb before! The road was perfectly smooth and there was not a car to be found. About ten minutes later I came to a three way fork in the road. I can either go on Johnson, turn right on Beck or turn left on Beck. On a whim I decided to turn right on to Beck Road. Beck descended steep for a few miles, flatted out for a few and then back up for five or six more. This road was also incredible! After doing 4x3 minute intervals, the road flatted back out and I looked straight on, breathing hard, wondering where I was, and then right in front of me I bumped into a road I ride all the time. I rolled up to the stop sign, took a right and headed home thinking about if I hadn't had taken my chance on this road I would never have explored this great climb.

Grant McElroy

No comments: