Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Madera Stage Race 2013

Madera Stage race was very fun this year, despite broken equipment and a bad hill climb. I raced with my teammates Matt Valencia, and Owen Gillot. We spent time together and made some good memories. We celebrated Matt's birthday, cooking by my dad and Mike Valencia for some super good food. When your dads are experienced in the field of Mexican food, it always turns out to be a good meal. Especially when they buy the meat and salsa at the infamous taqueria's in fabulous, beautiful Madera.

The first day was the hill climb, exclusive to masters racers and the pro 1/2's. That is a very hard course, with 6 miles of slow rollers, and 4 miles of uphill, twisty climbing. The rollers on the way out are very difficult, and steep, but the downhill doesn't provide you with enough speed to get some serious momentum cresting those small, brutal climbs. I was having a hard time finding my rhythm on the way out but felt pretty good climbing. When racing, you have bad days and good days, and the Ben Hurr Time Trial was not one of my most fabulous moments on the bike. No excuses, just wasn't feeling it that day. I do credit the Ben Hurr TT for opening my legs up for the next day where a course better suited for me was awaiting .

Saturday was the time trial and criterium. First was the time trial so I just started with the normal routine, warm up and get in the zone. I started and the wind felt like it was continuously changing. On the way out it was tail wind and an occasional crosswind. After the first right turn it was a straight crosswind, but it was still fast and I was maxed out on my gears. Then was the second right turn, which was a headwind/crosswind which was hard, but I had to keep pushing. At last, the last straight of the race, but the hardest. It was a direct headwind, it  felt like someone was grabbing my brake and I was having to keep riding, I finished with all I had left to manage a 5th place with a time of 21:36, approximately 20 seconds short of the winning time. I was very satisfied with this because I felt as if I redeemed myself from my bad ride the previous day. The criterium started at 2:40pm. My goal was to last, and try to be in all the dangerous moves. A break went, with very dangerous riders, almost all the GC contenders and lasted almost the whole race! I was not in it, and my attempts to bridge were immediately shut down, making it out to be a very negative race. We pulled back the break assisting Adrien Costa, and Tyler Williams in the chase bringing it back to the group. Then, Mike's Bikes started there classic leadout with all of us right behind us.  I went through the last turn 6th wheel, preparing to sprint, and I started to sprint, but I only went backwards. I finished, replenished and then watched Craig Roemer kill the masters race. It was a good day on the bike and it was Matt's birthday so we had a little shindig party waiting at my house. Credits to Craig Roemer for telling me the smoothest lines in the time trial. :-)

Sunday was the  final day and  the road race. I came it to this race with high hopes of finally making it to the finish with the main group, and I was determined to make it. The race started and a few little attacks went off the first lap but being brought back before the infamous bumpy section, and then David Benkoski went, and what no thought would last because it was so early, lasted! Congrats to you David that was a solid move, you blew everyone's minds! A break went to chase David down again including almost all the GC contenders, so Adrien and I attacked through the feedzone working together to make it to the group. We made it, but we managed to bring a long a] two other racers. When we got to the group it became very disorganized and slowed down quite a bit, with attacks going left and right, and with officials trying to stop our move it was getting very hectic. When it slowed down, Matt's group made it back to us and the speed increased just a slight bit. Following wheels was all that was happening during the last lap, and the bumpy section was getting crazy! Cresting one of the final rollers before the finish, I popped, finishing probably around 30 seconds behind the group. I finished 10th overall in GC, scoring a t-shirt and $5 dollars cash! I improved from 19th place in GC after my rough day in the first time trial to 10th place. I can not complain, it was still another fun weekend of racing bikes, doing what I love. Thanks for the read, guys.



Jack Maddux

No comments: