Wednesday, November 2, 2011

2011 Season and Beyond

2011 has been a one of a kind year for me and the team. It's also my last year on the year as I am graduating from the program and onto an Elite team for 2012. 

I started my year on the wrong note by getting sick, and staying sick for over a month. I still raced the races in February but I still wasn't getting better as we reached late March when we went to San Dimas Stage Race. I ended up finished 2nd in the road race, which wasn't too bad but the team held a perfect lead out for me and I didn't cap it off. Sure, the teams' season might not have started off as good as we hoped but that's why we are road racers; we have months up to races to prepare for and training and riding as a team to practice for. We eventually had 6 guys (including myself) race in Amos, Quebec, Canada from July 19th-24th. This was the only UCI Juniors races in North America and obviously it was one of our big targets to go good at. We did exactly that with getting Willy Zellmer in the winning breakaway on the first day and finished 5th! We were all happy but we were eager for more. The next day it came down to a field sprint, but there was a steep hill in the last 300 meters which made it much more difficult. I was able to follow the French lead out train and jump out of the turn the steam up the hill to the finish with my hands up! It was my 2nd win in 2 years at this race and I couldn't have done it without my awesome teammates of: Kyle Torres, Willy Zellmer, Jeff Perrin, Torey Phillip, and David Benkoski! They brought me behind the French riders and their job was done from there; it was up to me. By the end of the race, we finished 6th overall, multiple top 10's and 15's, and won an award for "The best non-national team!

After the Canadian racing, I traveled back home and got some rest after the long stage race. I kept racing after, racing most criteriums and some road races and was able to cap off 4 top-6's in the pro/1/2's in the closing month and a half of the season. Overall, I want to thank all of our sponsors that help us get to where we are now. Also, I want to thank Wyatt Weisel, Larry Nolan, Fred St. Goar, and the list goes on forever...and all of the masters!

It has been a great 6 years being along with the program but it is my farewell to the program and I'm looking forward to being old and joining the masters team and helping grow this amazing sport.

Thank you again and I will be racing for Bikes Bike Cycling Team next year, where I will be continuing with my teammate Torey Phillip. 

Thanks for reading.



--James LaBerge

No comments: