Friday, March 11, 2011

Dinner and a Training Ride with Freddie Rodriguez

I am having the chance to live a life that is not typical of an average 16 year old. My name is Kyle Torres and this is my first year on Team Specialized Racing Juniors. I live in Southern California and am a first year 17/18 year old. One of the great opportunities that I receive on this team is being able to be mentored by Freddie Rodriguez. Not many 16 year olds get to interact and learn from a pro cyclist who has won races all over the world.

While I was at the Merco Stage Race last weekend, I had the chance to eat dinner with Freddie and 5 other teammates (Matt, James, Chris, Jeff and Torey). I was sitting next to Freddie, so I had the chance to talk with him a lot. It was so interesting to hear what he had to say about his experiences in racing. I had the chance to learn a lot about how the professional cycling world works.

I am staying in Northern California this week in order to get ready for the Madera Stage Race. Today, I went on a training ride with Freddie and teammate, Willy. We met up in Berkeley and rode through the hills. We got to go on some really cool roads and go up some pretty challenging climbs. It was so cool to be riding on some of the best roads in California with one of the greatest American cyclists.

Life is good!

No comments: