Monday, March 14, 2011

Racing in the Almond Blooms.

Hey there,
During this past month I have encountered some wonderful racing, which included Merco and Madera Stage Race. Merco GP was a great weekend and experience for me. At the beginning of the season, I had encountered crashes, such as getting hit by an SUV on a training ride, that almost scared me out of the peloton. In the Merco elite 3's crit, I started to get back my assertive racing skills and started riding in the front of the pack. The race started and for about 15 laps I was stuck near the back but managed every lap, to move up at least 1 or 2 spots, By 12 to go I was riding in the top 15, which helped me get the placing I received. 7 to go, Kyle just dropped back to the peloton after being in the break for most of the race, Chris, Matt and I got on the front. Dave Towle was going crazy at the sight of the Specialized train on the front driving the pace. We sat back in the pack, I attacked attempting to bridge to the break at 7 to go. I made the break with one other guy and start doing my share of work to keep us away from the peloton. Bell lap and the finish came down to the sprint, my legs were wrecked after bridging to the break; I finished 7th, being the last of the breakaway. Matthew finished a fine 8th place,winning the bunch sprint. I was extremely happy with my results and wanted to do another 3's race after regaining my confidence in the peloton.

The following day was the Merco Almond Blossom Road Race. There were disappointments to my race. At about 18 miles into the first lap of the road race, my teammate Kyle got a flat. Matt and I stopped to assist him and to help him chase back to the peloton. The follow car was far behind so Kyle told Matt and I to go. It was hard efforts to get back in the pack, but we made it. Matt and I were in fine position after the feed zone, then I started to hear the disappointing sound of my front wheel losing air. I flatted on the 2nd lap! I waited for my replacement wheel and back to the car. I agreed that Saturday's race made up for the losses in the road race. This was my hardest race of the year, but I grew and learned through it. I can't wait for next year.

This last weekend I woke up in the early morning excited to race in beautiful Madera. I was ready for a world of hurt in the mornings time trial. I started my warm-up after watching the successful attempt by teammate Marcus, to flatten the coins under the train on the railroad tracks, which were on the other side of the road. That's one to go in the scrapbook. I was extremely warmed up for my time trial and eager for the pain cave. 5,4,3,2,1 go! And I was off, reaching high speeds due to a nice tail wind. A right turn, I came blazing in and accelerated out of the turn, getting back in rhythm. Then another right turn where we came onto a false flat which was hard after 6 or 7 miles of the time trial. Riding by one of the houses I saw a strange, black, loud animal come running out of the driveway; Time to kick it up 2 gears and get away from the vicious animal! It did get me closer to my 30 second man. I finished, completely dead, grinding in in my 52x14. My final time was 24:07.58. We refueled and headed to the criterium. Matt, Chris and I warmed up with the infamous Lar Bear on the streets of Madera. We came to the start line ready to race. And we were off, all squeezing into the first turn. It was about a 1/4 done and I attacked, getting followed by Cody Tapley, we had a gap but the peloton didn't feel like letting anything go so we were caught and fell back in to the pack. I tried to stay at the front but was gassed by my recent efforts so I sat comfortably in the pack. It was all together now and I knew it was going to be a bunch sprint. I heard the loud bell, "ring ring ring, one to go!". I attacked at full effort, trying to breakaway and get a good place in the race, but I was caught, on the backside of the course in the headwind. Matt and Chris were at the front ready to sprint, Chris 3rd wheel out of the corner, sprinted to a wonderful 2nd place in the 3's field, Matt and I finished in the pack.

The next day was time for the road race, and I couldn't wait for the 68 miles that waited ahead for me. We led through the neutral section, preparing ourselves for the acceleration out of the neutral zone. We were in the front sitting safe, when there was already a break away that had a big gap so me and about 4 other people bridged to the gap, with 3 other riders following. The peloton closed the gap and we sat in the pack for rest. We hit the "Paris Roubaix" section, where I planned to attack and was followed by 3 friends. Unfortunately, we were caught yet again at the end of the "roubaix" section. Now I sat in and waited for the finish. There was a break up the road that had approximately a minute gap on the field. They started the chase, I tried to stay protected out of the wind while the other contenders did the work. It was almost 1 lap to go, Matt flatted! It was now only Chris and I left in the group. We hung on while the group blazed to the finish. I thought my legs might absolutely fall off. I finished with the first group, which put me 16th overall in the GC. I couldn't ask more of my body. All I could say was, "shut up legs!". I am pleased with my recent results and am ready to kill it at the next stage race. See everyone in San Dimas in 2 weeks.
-Jack Maddux

No comments: