Sunday, June 7, 2009

ICCC Dash for Cash

The name tells it all, this race usually has some of the best prizes and some races you can win some nice cold hard CASH! However, the junior race was not one of these races with a “dash for cash” prime. 


Since the race was a 10/12, 13/14, and 15/16 it was only Marcus, James, Chris, and myself (Joel was coming later in the day to do the p/1/2/3 race.) Our race was 35 minutes long, and although the field was not as big as other races this year, there was still some fast riders like Joseph Christiansen (Rocket Sports) Gento Kusano (San Jose Bicycle Club) and Ryan Gadow (Teni Duro.) In the beginning of the race all of us focused on attacking and counter attacking. Marcus was able to roll of the front and got a gap of about a 1/4 of a lap. This left James, Chris and myself to control the pack and to make sure that no one could bridge with out us. When we knew that Marcus had a good gap, I went to the very back of the group and on the back side I went to the other side of the road and attacked hard. I was able to get away and bridge up to Marcus, who lapped the leading 13/14, Dylan Durmmand. After a couple of laps we heard that James was on his way up to us by him self. He was able to get up to us

 with one lap to go. All of us did a pull and I was first through the last turn and as we came out of the last turn, Marcus pulled through, but I thought he was starting to sprint so I then started to sprint. Marcus had a very small lead on me and I knew I had to have a good bike throw, but as we crossed the line, Marcus threw his bike too! Below is a photo of the finish, which wheel is the winner?

I ended up nipping Marcus at the line. James came in 3rd, he wanted to do well in the 3's, and Chris was second in the pack sprint.

 

In the 3's James placed 2nd, Marcus was in the middle of the pack and myself in the back. We all stayed safe and James got some upgrade points. Then Marcus and Joel did the p/1/2/3 race along with Larry, Steve, and Dean at the end of the day.

No comments: