Sunday, June 7, 2009

Dunlap ITT (State Championships)

Today was the district TT for juniors. All of us were there except for Joel, and all of us did 20k. For the 15/16s one of our biggest threats was the German quad-turbo diesel Alexander Freund. While I was getting ready I noticed that I forgot the spacer to make my SRM mount fit onto my handle bars, but Craig was there like he said he would be and had a smaller SRM mount that I could use. He also had wheels for us to use too! Thankfully these wheels came in handy because as I was warming up on the rollers, I heard the horrible sound of air seeping out of a tire and sure enough I had a flat on my front wheel, but Craig saved the day and let my use his über fast 808. Once that problem was fixed I hopped back on the rollers and my dad and I decided that it would be best to split the race into 3 intervals at 9 minutes each. For the first interval I would aim to hold 315 watts, then for the next 9 minutes I would aim for 350 watts and for the last 9 minutes I would push as many watts I could hold until the finish line. The first 9 minutes went well, but in the next 9 minutes I was not able to push as many watts as I had hopped. Thankfully it was a tail wind on the way back and my speed was able to stay at about 30-28 mph. This made the way back seem extremely short. I ended up crossing the line with a time of 27:40.5 but according to the parent's early calculations the German beast had beat me by about 30s. Lucky for me their calculations were incorrect and Alexander had a time of 27:47.96. James was third with a fast time of 28:29.09, and David was 6th with Alistair 7th (David = 29:14.17 & Alistair = 29:32.61) Chris and Marcus felt the effect of hard racing the day before and placed 14th (Chris) and 16th (Marcus.) For the 17/18s Charlie won with a crazy fast time of 25:54.67, Peter was 2nd (27:40.02), and Daniel was 5th (28:19.0) Below are all the podium photos, as you can see from the 17/18s photo, the race took everything out of Charlie and left only his jersey ;). 

2 comments:

Manley Man said...

Way to go Andrew!

Steve R said...

Nice racing! I looked up how long I can hold 315 Watts, but I'm not admitting it in public.