Monday, June 1, 2009

15-16 Soto Classic

55 miles of hills, hills, and more hills

We started the day with Andrew in 4th, David in 9th and Marcus in 10th overall. We road near the front of the pack for the first few miles. I had a mechanical, but caught back on. Ben Gabardi (2nd overall) started attacking on every short climb. We were doing great until David flatted. He didn't have spare wheels and the cars had a weird system so he could use Andrews or mine. One rider went up the road 2min but was caught. On the feedzone hill Ben attacked and was counted by the other riders. 5 riders were in the lead group (1,2,3 overall). Andrew was in the middle by himself and I was in a 5 man chase group. We stayed around 45sec behind, but no one wanted to waste energy to close it and then be dropped. We made 30sec on the middle climb and caught them on the flats just as Andrew did. We talked afterwards and Andrew should have come back to my chase group, except he didn't know if we were going to catch the leader. On the final climb of the first lap I moved up to the front and climbed at my own pace. We strung out the field and the other riders kept it hard over the top. Ben caught around the finish of the first lap and attacked on the descent. We chased and caught back on as another attack went. We couldn't stay with this one. The lead group had Matt Lipscomb (1st overall) two other riders and Jack Funk (3rd overall). In the middle was Ben then 15sec back was Andrew and then 20 sec back was my chase group. By the middle climb we were losing firepower so I attacked. I got 10 sec from Andrew, but he caught Ben and they worked together. I was by myself for 5miles until my chase group caught me. Andrew was dropped by Ben and Jack Funk was dropped from the lead group. I didn't work because I didn't want us to catch Andrew. They pulled me to the hill and I follow a Red Zone attack up it. He tried to have me pull with 700m, but I didn't. I sprinted on a hill with 400m and kept a gap.

Finish RR:
Matt Lipscomb
Andrew Dillman
Logan haskew
Jack Funk
Ben Gabardi
Andrew Lanier
Marcus Smith

Hard racing with a lot of attacks. Showed me how hard Nationals is going to be and gave me a goal for training

No comments: